I eat my beautiful oatmeal almost every single day, but once in a while it feels like a day for a breakfast treat. Today, I felt like having a special Sunday breakfast.
We don’t usually get a fat serving with breakfast, but I find it difficult to cook veggies without a teeny bit of oil. I let myself have a eensy weensy spray of oil to roast veggies for breakfast on occasion, and I do it so rarely that it doesn’t mess with my peace or wake up my sabetour. If you think this would be problematic for you though, you can roast with lemon juice instead, or just steam the veggies.
This recipe also replaces 6 oz of breakfast fruit with 6 oz of breakfast veggies, which is also okay to do from time to time.
Sidenote – this meal was approved by my picky, S & F eating husband. Success!
Savory Breakfast Polenta
Each Serving Contains:
- 6 oz Veggie Serving (replaces fruit)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Grain Serving
- Leeks or onions
- Green onions
- Cooked polenta (1 oz dry, pour boiling water over and keep adding water until hydrated and creamy)
- Grain Additions: Increase polenta to 1.5 oz dry or 6 oz cooked.
- Protein Additions: Increase ricotta or nuts to 4 oz total.
- Chop the veggies and lay on a baking sheet, cast iron pan, or parchment paper.
- Very lightly spray with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until sufficiently roasty.
- Sip your tea or coffee and relax while the veggies are cooking. Read something nice. Be happy.
- When you are about 5 minutes away from the veggies being ready, prepare the polenta according to the package directions, or read below.
- I use a 1:3 ratio of polenta to water. About 1/3 of a cup of dried polenta yields 4 oz of cooked polenta. Add the polenta to the measured amount of boiling water with a pinch of salt, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes until it is thickened. Remove from heat. More water can be stirred in if you want it to be thinner. It will continue to thicken up after it is removed from the heat.
- Weigh your polenta on the plate, add 2 oz of ricotta and pine nuts, sprinkle with green onions, add 6 oz of roasted veggies, and begin your beautiful bright day!