I buy all of these coleslaw veggies pre-shredded at Trader Joe’s (shredded cabbage, cruciferous crunch mix, and carrots), and it takes about 5 minutes to mix this coleslaw together. Or, you could buy a pre-made coleslaw veggie mix. This is delicious alongside any BBQ-flavored protein. I like to use tempeh, beans, or soy curls cooked with this sugar-free BBQ Sauce, or I make a big crockpot full of Lynda’s Baked Beans and keep this meal going all week!
Baked Beans & Tangy Coleslaw
Each Serving Contains
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1 Fruit Serving (optional)
- Protein Options: (Choose ONE)
Veggie, Fat, & Fruit Serving
- Tangy Coleslaw
- Shredded carrots, cabbage, kale, or cruciferous veggie mix of any kind. Weigh to reach your veggie serving.
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 0.5 oz or 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (contributes 1 fat serving)
- 3 oz grated apple (eat the rest of your apple sliced on the side, or mix it in, I find that a whole apple is too much and makes it too wet)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grain Additions: Add 4 oz roasted sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice, quinoa, or your other favorite grain!
- Protein Additions: Add a side of nuts, yogurt, or milk, more than 6 oz of beans is not easy on the digestion!
- Fat Additions: Increase mayo in the coleslaw or add avocado on top.
- If you are making Lynda’s Baked Beans, start soaking the beans the night before.
- In the morning, start the crockpot with the drained beans & other baked bean ingredients. It will take between 4 and 8 hours to cook (depending on the temperature) – see original recipe for specific instructions.
- Alternatively, make Sugar Free BBQ Sauce (a batch takes 20-30 minutes to make) and cook your favorite protein in it (try tempeh, tofu, beans, or soy curls)
- Shortly before mealtime, mix together the coleslaw.
- With clean hands, mix and massage everything together with your hands for 30 seconds or so. The goal is to mix the slaw but also to massage and wilt the veggies to get them to release their juices.
- Add the beans, and serve with a wedge of lime.