As you may or may not know, I’ve embarked on a 14-day challenge that involves temporarily simplifying my food. For me, this reboot looks like not trying any new or complicated recipes, because too much experimentation can cause my quantities boundary to blur, enough to mess with my head.
Still, just because my food is simple, doesn’t mean it’s not worth sharing! Here is a super easy (5 minutes) and delicious kale slaw that I’ve been making a lot this week. It’s a great side for pretty much anything. I like to eat this with BBQ tempeh, BBQ soy curls, or baked beans.
The secret to easy slaw is a pre-made bagged mix of cruciferous veggies. I love Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch Mix, which includes kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli. I dump it into a bowl, add bell peppers or shredded carrots (if I feel like it), pour olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, mustard on it, and massage it with my hands for 10 seconds. Easy and yummy!
This keeps well in the fridge for a day or two, and doesn’t get slimy and gross the way that salad greens do when they are dressed and then stored. These kinds of veggies get yummier and softer after a day of marinating in their dressing.
5-Minute Kale Slaw
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Fat Serving
- Cruciferous veggies (shredded kale, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc)
- Thinly sliced peppers (optional)
- Shredded carrots (optional)
- 0.5 oz (or 1 tablespoon) olive oil
Condiments & Spices
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- Splash of apple cider vinegar, to taste
- Squeeze of your favorite mustard, to taste
- Chopped herbs like cilantro or parsley (optional)