Photo credit to my wonderful and talented mother Isabel Gates. Thanks mama!
This simple and flavorful soup is a big hit in our family. This recipe is brought to you by the fantastic vegan food blogger Vegangela. You can find the original recipe here. This soup is super easy to make and freezer-friendly. I have adapted the amounts very slightly.
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
Each 16 oz Serving Contains:
- 6 oz Veggies
- 1 Protein Serving (6 oz lentils)*
- 1 Fat Serving (2 oz coconut milk)*
- 2 oz Condiments
- 1 large onion
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- Handful of greens (optional)
- Small red lentils (14oz dry)
Condiments & Spices
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk (regular fat)
- Grain Additions: Serve over rice or your favorite grain.
- Protein Additions: Increase the amount of lentils or top with yogurt.
- Fat Additions: Increase the amount of coconut milk.
- In a large pot, steam-sauté the onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat, covered with a lid for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer on low heat for 11-15 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and tender.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.