Everyone needs a good kale salad in their repertoire. Here is my go-to.
For those who may not know, quinoa can be counted as a protein. 4 oz = 1 protein serving. In the weight loss phase, avoid doing this too often as it’s a slightly heavier and more calorically dense protein choice.
Kale & Quinoa Salad
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- Weigh in combination to reach your veggie serving:
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Kale, roughly chopped
- Be creative! Try greens, sprouts, beets, corn, etc.
Protein Serving Options (Mix & Match – Choose TWO)
2 oz quinoa (1/2 protein)
3 oz cooked or canned chickpeas, black beans, or any other beans of choice (1/2 protein)
1 oz walnuts, pepitas, almonds, or other nuts (1/2 protein)
1 serving Tahini Dressing (p.) (1/2 protein)
- 0.5 oz extra virgin olive oil
Condiments & Spices
- 2 tsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon, squeezed)
- Grain Additions: Count 4 oz quinoa as a grain and add more protein, or add 4 oz roasted potatoes.
- Protein Additions: Add any of the protein options listed above.
- Fat Additions: Increase oil amount or add avocado or nuts.
Massage kale with lemon juice and oil.
Top with veggies and protein and toss everything to combine.
Keeps well in the fridge for 1-2 days.
I like to make this one ahead of time and and bring it in a cooler when traveling.
Enjoying this as a car meal. (Sweet potato added for maintenance grain in photo)