This one is not for the nutritional yeast haters out there, but if you love nutritional yeast like I do, this is a great way to drench your food in yummy sauce. There isn’t even a fat serving in here, just protein.
One serving of this is a generous amount of sauce. If you are on maintenance, don’t make the same mistake I made of doubling it for two breakfast proteins. I ended up with cheesy sauce breakfast soup, it was way too much. One serving of this is perfect for veggies or potatoes.
I found that 4 oz of milk was too much and made the sauce too watery, so this recipe only makes up 3/4 of a protein serving. I love this fact, because then I can use my other 2 oz of milk in my coffee. 🙂
Each Serving Contains:
- 3/4 Protein Serving
- 1 oz cashews (soaked overnight and drained) (1/2 protein)
- 2 oz plant-based milk (1/4 protein)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 small squeeze dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp each onion powder and garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1-2 drops of liquid smoke or smoked paprika (optional)
- Soak the cashews overnight in water in a lidded container. (Room temperature or refrigerated is fine, it doesn’t matter)
- In the morning, rinse and drain the cashews.
- Add all ingredients to a small blender cup and blend until smooth, adding water if needed to reach desired consistency.
Ideas for Use:
- Drizzle over potatoes and sautéed veggies for breakfast
- Drizzle over roasted or steamed veggies for lunch or dinner
- Drizzle over quinoa for some cheesy quinoa
- Split the protein and put half of it on 3 oz of cooked legume pasta for some “mac and cheese”