The amazing photos in this post were taken by my wonderful mother Isabel Gates. Thank you mama! <3
This warm, flavorful, wonderful curry is inspired by this recipe from Minimalist Baker. I have adapted the ratios but most of this recipe comes from the original, except for the amounts of coconut milk and the removal of sweeteners. This recipe comes together quickly, under 30 minutes! It was SO tasty. I was so impressed.
NOTE: This only contains half of a fruit serving, so you will need to supplement with 3 oz of some other kind of fruit, like apple slices, berries, small banana, apricot, etc.
Yellow Curry w/ Mango & Cashews
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1/2 Fruit Serving
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large head of broccoli
- Frozen peas (to reach desired veggie weight)
- 8 oz roasted whole cashews (4 protein servings)
10 oz regular fat coconut milk (or 5 oz coconut cream or 20 oz light coconut milk) (5 fat servings)
- 2 fresh mangos, diced, or 12 oz frozen mango (2 fruit servings)
Condiments & Spices
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili paste
- 1-3 teaspoons red curry paste (or more, depending on desired heat)
- 2-3 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Fresh basil or cilantro to garnish
- Grain Additions: Serve over 4 oz cooked rice, quinoa, farro, barley, roasted potatoes, or any other curry-friendly grain.
- Protein Additions: Add baked tofu or more cashews.
- Fat Additions: Increase coconut milk or cashews.
- Chop and weigh out the onion, red pepper, broccoli, and peas to the desired weight.
- Mince or grate the ginger and garlic.
- In a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, sauté the onion, ginger, garlic, chili paste, and curry paste in a tiny bit of coconut oil for a couple of minutes, until fragrant and softened.
- Add coconut milk, salt, soy sauce, and turmeric, and simmer over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add all the veggies except the peas to the pot.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- When the veggies are softened, add fruit, peas, and lemon juice, and simmer for 3-4 minutes more over low heat.
- Garnish with cashews and fresh basil or cilantro.
- This meal keeps well for a few days. I add the cashews at the end before serving, so they don’t get soggy.