Italian-Style Stuffed Bell Pepper
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1 large bell pepper (contributes 4-5 oz to veggie weight)
- Any or all of the following veggies to reach veggie weight, diced:
- Shredded dark greens like spinach, kale, or chard
- 4 oz veggie sausage, diced (I like Tofurkey Italian sausages and Apple Field Roast sausages, both are compliant)
- 0.5 oz (or 1 TBSP) olive oil
Condiments & Spices
- Fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oz marinara sauce
- Dried Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, etc)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Grain Additions: Serve on a bed of cooked quinoa or other grain.
- Protein Additions: Add pine nuts!
- Fat Additions: Add pine nuts or increase the amount of oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the bell pepper in half, remove the seeds, and brush or spray the cut side lightly with oil.
- Weigh it at this point, just to get a rough idea. If you want, you can weigh them again after cooking and they will weigh slightly less, but it will be pretty close.
- Roast, cut side face down, on parchment paper for 15-20 minutes, or until the rim is browning. Flip over with tongs and bake a little longer, about 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop and weigh out the rest of your veggies for the filling.
- Sauté the veggies and sausage in your oil serving. Add greens, garlic, marinara, and dried Italian herbs at the end.
- Remove the bell pepper from the oven and fill it with the filling. If there’s too much filling, just add it on the side.
- Roast the filled pepper for a little bit longer, 5-10 minutes (optional step)
- Garnish with fresh basil and nutritional yeast (optional).
- Appreciate the nice presentation, then mash it all up and enjoy!