Here’s a simple, flavorful, vegan mushroom gravy for you as we head into Thanksgiving season! It’s yummy on mashed potatoes (if you’re on maintenance) or try it on Mashed Cauliflower.
This recipe comes from Whole Foods Market. I modified it slightly, changing the cornstarch to arrowroot powder, which is allowed in small amounts (occasionally). This recipe includes a little bit of red wine, but this could be left out if you have concerns about having alcohol in the house. In the past, I’ve bought little tiny bottles of wine so as not to have a whole bottle sitting around.
Mushroom Gravy (Vegan, Oil Free)
Each 4 oz Serving Contains:
- 1 Condiment
- 2 oz Veggies
- 2 and 1/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, such as porcini, cremini or shiitake, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup Merlot or other red wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, braggs, or tamari
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet (cast-iron works well) over medium-high heat, add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup of the broth to the pan to prevent the onion from burning.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until they release their liquid and become tender.
- Stir in garlic, rosemary and thyme and continue to cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add wine and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining 2 cups broth and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, nutritional yeast (optional) and arrowroot to form a thick paste.
- Add mixture to the skillet, whisking constantly to make sure paste dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Add pepper and serve gravy hot.