This one always makes the rounds in our community around Thanksgiving time. It’s perfect for bringing to a holiday gathering, and it only counts toward your veggie serving so there’s no complicated food plan math to do. This recipe comes from this one over at Delish. They have a nice little video if you want to see the step-by-step instructions in that format.
Each Serving Contains:
- Veggies (eat as much or as little as you need)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 c. chopped mushrooms
Condiments & Spices
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp. ground sage)
- Grain Additions: Add a side of mashed or roasted potatoes (don’t forget the gravy!) or possibly try using some Ezekiel bread in the stuffing?
- Protein Additions: Add roasted pecans, marinated tempeh, or a side of beans.
- Fat Additions: Use more oil to cook the veggies, or add roasted pecans.
- In a skillet over medium heat, dry-sauté the carrots, onions, and celery, covered with a lid, until softened, about 7-8 minutes. You could use a little bit of oil here but it isn’t necessary.
- Add the cauliflower, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the herbs and the vegetable broth.
- Cook, covered with a lid, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until the veggies are tender but not mushy.