This gorgeous and flavorful dish is inspired by this recipe over at Simply Scratch. I’ve modified it slightly to get the proportions right. This recipe makes enough for 2 complete and classy meals. (1 serving pictured above). I was surprised at how filling this was.
If I were bringing this as a side dish to bring to a holiday gathering, I would serve the tahini sauce on the side, weigh the veggies toward my veggie serving, and bring my own portioned amount of pistachios and sauce to put on my own plate (to make sure the amounts of each food category are right). Do what you gotta do.
Turmeric Roasted Carrots w/ Tahini Drizzle & Pistachios
Each Serving Contains:
- About 10-12 oz Veggies
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- About 2 lb medium carrots
- 2 oz chopped pistachios (1 protein serving)
- Tahini Dressing (1 protein serving + 1 fat serving)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh grated garlic
- 2 oz tahini (1 protein serving)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, strained to catch seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (1 fat serving)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon oil for roasting, I used coconut oil (1 fat serving)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil in dressing above (1 fat serving)
Condiments & Spices
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Grain Additions: Add a side of mashed or roasted potatoes
- Protein Additions: Add more pistachios or tahini
- Fat Additions: Add more pistachios, oil, or tahini
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven and then preheat to 450 degrees.
- Scrub the carrots well but do NOT peel. Trim off the leafy green tops, leaving an inch or so. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise and place onto a rimmed, metal baking sheet.
- Rub the carrots with the 1 tbsp of oil, turmeric, curry powder, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Place the carrots cut-side facing down onto a rimmed metal baking sheet.
- Roast in your preheated oven for 10 minutes, rotating the pan and then roasting for an additional 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the tahini sauce ingredients.
- Once the carrots are roasted, immediately transfer them to a platter. Drizzle the tahini sauce over it and garnish with the chopped pistachios and cilantro.