Here’s a nice, super easy and yummy variation on a typical oatmeal favorite. Making it is a very simple matter of putting water, quinoa, apples, and spices in a small pot or pan, and simmering it for 20 minutes. This recipe is adapted slightly from this one over at Simply Quinoa.
Quinoa hydrates at a ratio of 1:4 in terms of weight, just like oatmeal. So, 1 oz of dry quinoa yields 4 oz of cooked quinoa. If quinoa’s not your thing, try this with other neutral tasting grains such as millet, buckwheat, oats, etc.
This would be easy to batch-cook for multiple people or for make-ahead meal prep, just multiply the amounts by however many servings you want to make. Also, see below for maintenance modifications.
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Grain Serving
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fruit Serving
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 oz nuts or nut butter (1/2 protein)
- 4 oz milk or yogurt of choice (1/2 protein)
- 1 oz dry quinoa (yields 4 oz cooked quinoa)
Condiments & Spices
- 4 oz water (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of apple pie spice (or a pinch each of nutmeg, allspice, cloves, cardamom)
- Grain Additions: Use 1.5 oz dry quinoa and 6 oz water (3/4 cup)
- Protein Additions: Use 2 oz of nuts/nut butter and 8 oz milk/yogurt
- Into a small pot or pan with a lid, weigh out 1 oz of quinoa.
- Add the diced apple, water, and spices.
- Put on the stove and simmer, covered with a lid, over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Garnish with toppings and more cinnamon if desired.
- Store in a tight lidded container in the fridge for up to a few days.
Recipe Source: Katie’s Bright Kitchen
Note: Maintenance version pictured