I got this idea from this recipe over at Simply Quinoa and made the easiest version possible. Simple, delicious, quick, and easy to weigh, this breakfast consists of cooked quinoa, jarred kimchi, and poached eggs. If you have quinoa already cooked in the fridge, this is a 10-minute breakfast.
Kimchi is available in most grocery stores but it can be hidden in strange places. 6 oz may seem like a lot, but the heat gets diluted nicely by the quinoa and the eggs complement the flavors perfectly. If you want less heat or aren’t as excited about a huge pile of fermented spicy vegetables as I am, swap out some of it for some steamed greens like kale, cabbage, or spinach.
Quinoa Kimchi Breakfast Bowl
Each Serving Contains:
- 6 oz Veggies (replaces fruit)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Grain Serving
- 6 oz jarred kimchi
- 2 eggs, poached
- 1 oz dry quinoa or 4 oz cooked quinoa
Condiments & Spices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grain Additions: Use 1.5 oz dry quinoa.
- Protein Additions: Add white beans or chickpeas to the quinoa, or have an 8 oz latte with unsweetened milk on the side 🙂
- Fat Additions: Add sesame oil to the quinoa or top with avocado.
- Cook quinoa normally in water, or batch cook ahead of time.
- Weigh out 6 oz of kimchi from the jar and stir it into the cooked quinoa. This breakfast is yummy warm or cold.
- For the eggs, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer, stir the water to get a circular current going, and crack 2 eggs into it. Set a timer or watch a clock for 3.5 minutes for perfectly runny yolks.
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place atop the quinoa/kimchi mixture.
- Salt and enjoy!
Recipe Source: Katie’s Bright Kitchen