This easy, flavorful, and delicious recipe comes from this post over at The Full Helping. It’s perfect for batch cooking and freezing. I’ve adapted it very slightly to get compliant quantities for the weight loss phase. Enjoy!
Crockpot Masala Lentils
Each Serving Contains:
- 6 oz Veggies
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 14 oz, raw)
- 1 15-ounce can diced or stewed tomatoes, with their juices
- 10.5 oz brown or green lentils, dry (4 protein servings – about 2.6 oz of dry lentils cooks to 6 oz)
- 16 oz (I just use 1 can) light coconut milk (4 fat servings)
Condiments & Spices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or 3.5 if you want it soupier)
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- A few shakes black pepper
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- Grain Additions: Serve over rice or quinoa.
- Protein Additions: Add chickpeas.
- Fat Additions: Increase coconut milk or add coconut oil.
- Stir all ingredients together except for the coconut milk in a slow cooker. Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6 hours. Add more water or stock as needed, keeping in mind that the coconut milk will thin it out at the end.
- When the lentils are ready, stir in the coconut milk.
- Alternatively, to cook on a stovetop, sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in a heavy bottomed pot in a little bit of coconut oil. Add all the ingredients except for the coconut milk and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer another 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are thickened. Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
Katie’s Bright Kitchen, adapted from The Full Helping