These lovely winter flavors are a nice way to get out of any salad ruts you may be in. The quinoa is counted as a protein but you could swap it out for any other protein if you wish. I used vegan ricotta once and it was awesome. Enjoy!
Winter Apple & Kale Salad w/ Cinnamon Vinaigrette
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1 Fruit Serving
Weigh the following veggies to reach your veggie quota:
- Dark kale, cut into thin strips
- Red onion, minced or cut into thin strips
- Other salad veggies or greens of choice
- 1 oz pecans, walnuts, or pepitas (1/2 protein)
- 2 oz cooked quinoa (1/2 protein)
- 1 apple (I recommend honeycrisps)
- Cinnamon Vinaigrette (makes 1 serving)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (1 fat serving)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Mix the dressing in a small bowl and pour it over the kale.
- Massage the kale vigorously with the dressing for about 30 seconds. This is necessary to soften and remove bitterness from the kale.
- Toss with the remaining ingredients.
Recipe Source: Katie’s Bright Kitchen