This is a slight variation on my weeknight classic Sausage, Kraut, & Greens but with some grain and caramelized onions in there to kick it up just a notch for maintenance. This is an oldie but a goodie, and it’s making a comeback in my meal rotations lately.
The briney kraut and mustard combo in this simple meal makes for an intense and delicious flavor bomb, reminiscent of some of my old favorite (non vegan) comfort foods – enough to be very satisfying without being triggering.
I use field roast sausage, which is compliant as a protein serving in BLE.
Sausage & Grain Bowl (V)
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1 Grain Serving (optional for maintenance)
- A few handfuls of kale, chopped
- Half of an onion, sliced into thin strips
- Any other veggies of choice (I like to use up bits of batched leftovers or jarred veggies like beets or bell peppers in this meal)
- Sauerkraut to reach desired veggie weight
- 1 veggie sausage (or 4 oz), sliced (I use field roast apple sage or Italian sausage)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
Grain Serving (Optional)
- 4 oz cooked grain of choice (I like brown rice, farro, or barley)
Condiments & Spices
- 2 oz good quality Dijon mustard
- 2 oz sauerkraut allowed as a condiment (in addition to counting it toward your veggies)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you haven’t cooked the grain already, start a pot of grain using your preferred method.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onions for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned.
- If weighing, put your plate on the scale and add the onions. Note the veggie weight so far.
- In the same pan in the remaining oil, brown the sausage for a few minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the kale in a small saucepan with a spoonful or two of water. Cover with a lid and steam over medium heat for a few minutes – just enough to wilt the greens.
- Add the steamed kale to the onions on the plate. Add sauerkraut to reach desired veggie weight. (If I need even more veggies, I’ll add cooked or jarred beets or red pepper, or raw veggies on the side).
- Add the browned sausage and cooked grain serving to the bowl. Generously salt and pepper and drizzle with mustard.
- Mix it all up and enjoy!
Recipe Source: Katie’s Bright Kitchen