Whenever my husband sees fresh figs he starts raving about his favorite sandwiches growing up, which apparently had fresh figs, ricotta, honey, and a little bit of black pepper. Never having eaten figs myself and inspired by his nostalgia, This tart is the result of trying my own twist on this idea. Yum.
If you love this, or want a more BLE-friendly version of these flavor combos, check out this fancy oatmeal.
Date & Nut Crust
- 1/2 cup pitted dates packed
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 Tbsp almond meal or flour of choice
- 1/2 cup ricotta (I use Kite Hill almond milk ricotta) 4 oz
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp honey
- Zest of half a lemon about 1 tsp
- Fresh figs sliced
- Blackberries or blueberries
- Almonds or pecans chopped
- Drizzle of honey
- 1 grind black pepper optional
- Add dates and nuts to a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add the almond meal and continue processing until the mixture is holding together.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a small tart pan or shallow dish. This is a raw tart and doesn’t get cooked, so it can be any dish.
- Mix the ricotta filling in a bowl and fill the tart on top of the crust.
- Decoratively arrange figs on the tart. Sprinkle with nuts and drizzle with honey.
- One of these tarts is usually too much for me, so I usually share it for a sweet breakfast or dessert.