What do you do like to do with fresh figs? I like to put them on steel cut oatmeal with Kite Hill almond-based ricotta.
Whenever my husband sees fresh figs he starts raving about his favorite sandwiches that he ate growing up, which apparently had fresh figs, ricotta, honey, and a little bit of black pepper. Never having eaten figs myself and inspired by his nostalgia, I tried my own twist on this idea. Yum.
I added a few “sweet” flavorings, including citrus zest, vanilla, and almond extract. Almond extract is the BEST. It is my favorite way to pretend I’m eating dessert for breakfast, when in reality my food is unsweetened. It definitely tricks my brain a little bit. It is a very strong flavor, so the key is to use just the tiniest amount. The flavor works great in this context. Enjoy!
- 4 oz steel cut oats*, cooked or another grain or hot cereal of choice
- 1.5 oz nut-based ricotta or 3 oz dairy ricotta
- 0.5 oz walnuts, pistachios, or sliced almonds to garnish
- 6 oz fresh figs sliced or chopped
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange or lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- In a saucepan (I find a nonstick saucepan works best for easy cleanup) combine 1/4 cup steel cut oats with 1 cups of water (1:4 ratio), or make larger batches of oatmeal ahead of time and reheat with a little milk or water. If you have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, making steel cut oats in it is a breeze.
- Stir the seasonings into the oats after cooking.
- Stir the ricotta into the oatmeal or serve it atop the oatmeal, whichever pleases you more.
- Top with figs and nuts.
- For a maintenance breakfast, use more oatmeal (6 oz cooked) and add more protein in the form of extra ricotta and nuts, or replace some of the water with your milk of choice in cooking the oats.
- If not following BLE, a light drizzle of honey is lovely on top of this breakfast.
For the more dessert-inclined folks in my following, I also created a similarly themed, lightly & naturally sweetened tart that my family immediately devoured. The recipe will be coming soon in my new cookbook! I’m on the home stretch of working on it, it should be out in a couple weeks! Stay tuned! 🙂