Savory spices, Chipotle Lime Sauce, and a fried egg liven up this breakfast feast! To make this meal nightshade free, use sweet potatoes and replace the Chipotle Lime Sauce with some crumbled dairy or non-dairy cheese. I eat fat with breakfast, so I love to garnish this with avocado.
- 1 cup grated raw sweet potato, packed 8 oz
- 1 egg for batter
- 2 fried or poached eggs for topping
Chipotle Lime Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini 4 oz
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 chipotle chili pepper canned in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp water or non-dairy milk to thin
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, chives, or fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado optional
Make the Waffles
- Grate the sweet potato. I don't bother to peel them. If using regular potatoes, rinse in cold water and squeeze out excess water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and stir in the grated potato and seasonings.
- Spray a waffle iron with cooking spray. Scoop half of the hashbrown batter into the center and spread it out to the edges.
- Be patient! Avoid opening the waffle iron too early or it will stick. Cook until browned, between 10-15 minutes. Make a second waffle.
Make the Sauce
- Meanwhile, make the Chipotle Lime Sauce by blending all ingredients in a small blender cup, or in a small jar with an immersion blender. Add water or milk to reach desired consistency.
Fry the Eggs
- Heat a dab of oil on a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Carefully crack the egg onto the pan – it should sizzle. Add a dash of salt and pepper. For sunny side up, cover with a lid for a minute or two until the yolk is cooked to your liking. For over easy, cook uncovered and flip after a minute or two and cook until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
Assemble the Bowls
- Prepare any additional toppings, and top the waffles with all the goodies!
- One waffle contains about 4 oz of potato and 1/2 an egg (1/4 of a BLE protein serving) so if you top it with a fried egg you’ll still be 1/4 protein short. Complete it with 2 Tbsp of Chipotle Lime Sauce (1/4 protein) or 1/2 oz of cheese.
- In maintenance, I often swap out half of my second breakfast protein for a fat serving, (because I love avocado in my savory breakfasts!) Or, I sometimes count avocado as a fruit, which is totally rogue, but I love it. To better comply with a BLE food plan, you could leave out the avocado and eat some fruit on the side.