This is an excellent side for a outdoor meal or BBQ. Complete your meal with your favorite barbequed protein (I love BBQ tempeh, veggie burgers, or Field Roast sausages), veggie slaw, and grilled summer corn. To add protein, add pine nuts or swap the mayo for tahini.
- 1 lb yellow or red potatoes
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped 4 oz
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped 4 oz
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped 4 oz
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp mayonnaise (I use vegan mayo) 1 oz
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp minced dill pickle or relish
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until fork tender, about 15 – 20 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces.
- Drain into a colander, cover with a clean dish towel, and let cool completely. I sometimes do this step the night before and refrigerate them overnight. To cool them quicker, I throw the freshly boiled potatoes into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, toss the cold potatoes with the rest of the ingredients and chill until ready to serve.