Have you ever tried savory oats? They are my FAVORITE.
Savory breakfasts are so delicious and fueling for a full, productive day! The secret seasonings mixed in the oats give this dish a wonderful, savory flavor. Experiment with fun toppings. To make this a vegan breakfast, replace the egg with pine nuts and plant-based cheese.
This week’s recipe is to help you change up your fruity oatmeal game and take advantage of the fresh spring produce and herbs coming into your life!
- 1/4 cup Steel-cut oats, dry 2 oz
- Mushrooms sliced & sautéed
- Bell peppers chopped & sautéed
- Cherry tomatoes halved, raw
- Asparagus roasted or steamed
- Onions chopped & sautéed
- Zucchini or summer squash roasted or sautéed
- Broccoli or brussel sprouts roasted, sautéed, or steamed
- Fresh salad greens e.g. spinach, kale, chard, arugula
- Kale or cabbage shredded
- Avocado sliced (counted as a fat in BLE)
- Poached or fried eggs 2 eggs = 1 protein
- Veggie sausage or tempeh bacon 4 oz = 1 protein
- Nuts or seeds (pine nuts, pumpkin seeds) 2 oz = 1 protein
- Black beans, white beans, or chickpeas 6 oz = 1 protein
- Cheese of choice (I use vegan ricotta) 2 oz = 1 protein
- Plant-based milk of choice 8 oz = 1 protein
- THE BEST Chipotle Lime Sauce see link in notes
- Pesto counts as protein or fat in BLE, see notes
Seasonings & Garnishes (Pick a few that call to you!)
- Small dash soy sauce or tamari (gf)
- Spoonful of tahini
- Dab of miso paste
- Dash of nutritional yeast optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste optional
- Savory spices like Italian herbs, cumin, or paprika
- Fresh basil or cilantro (or both!) chopped, to garnish
- Chives or green onions optional
- Begin cooking the steel-cut oats either on the stovetop or using a pressure cooker, according to package or appliance directions. The stovetop will take about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and sauté the veggies (except the tomatoes) in a splash of oil. (For an oil-free breakfast, dry sauté or steam the veggies or roast them on parchment paper at 400° F tossed with lemon juice, salt, and pepper).
- If using tomatoes and greens, add them for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking to wilt the greens and blister the tomatoes.
- When the oats are cooked, stir in the seasonings and divide into two bowls.
- If topping with an egg, cook it according to your favorite method below:
- How to Perfectly Poach Eggs: Poach the eggs by stirring the boiling water in the pot with a large spoon and making a little whirlpool. This will keep the egg together. Crack the eggs gently into the whirlpool and turn heat down to a low simmer. Start a timer. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon after 3.5 minutes for a perfectly runny yolk.
- How to Perfectly Fry Eggs: Heat a dab of oil on a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Carefully crack the egg onto the pan – it should sizzle. Add a dash of salt and pepper. For sunny side up, cover with a lid for a minute or two until the yolk is cooked to your liking. For over easy, cook uncovered and flip after a minute or two and cook until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
- Garnish the oatmeal with the egg, veggies, nuts or cheese, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
- My favorite Chipotle Lime Sauce
- My favorite Vegan Pesto
- More ideas and inspiration for savory oats in this week’s challenge in the Conscious Eating Community
- It’s okay to have veggies instead of fruit for breakfast on the BLE food plan. The amount is the same as with fruit. You can also do a combo of both.
- Avocado and oils are considered fats in BLE and not part of breakfast. When I got to maintenance, my experimentation began with adding either a second protein to breakfast or a fat. Do what works for you here.
- This is a great breakfast for maintenance because the double protein is AWESOME.