The flavors in these healthy, flourless breakfast treats are reminiscent of lemon poppy seed muffins. The difference between these and Banana Oat Cookies is that the egg in this recipe makes a wetter, richer batter that works better in muffin tins. The texture is less dense than when using only nut butter as a binder.
- 3/4 cup instant oats, dry 3 oz
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup nut butter 2 oz
- 1/4 cup nuts 2 oz
- 2 tsp nut butter, per serving as a topping 1/3 oz
- 2 bananas, mashed 8 oz
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen 6 oz
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest optional
- 1/2 tsp black poppyseeds optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the banana and mix in the egg. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, gently stirring in the blueberries at the end.
- Lightly grease muffin tins or line with muffin liners. Make 6 muffins, filling the tins almost to the top with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes after removing from the oven.
- When the muffins are completely cool, they can be stored in an airtight container for a few days, or frozen.
- For BLE, count 2 muffins as a weight loss breakfast. For a maintenance breakfast, eat 3 muffins.